overloaded electrical circuitElectrical issues are the leading cause of house fires. To prevent fires and accidents caused by electricity, you need to identify the electrical dangers in your home. Here are the most common ones.

Common Electrical Problems

Unprotected outlets

If there are babies or toddlers in your house, make sure that all electrical outlets are covered. Young children can get their little hands on or stick objects into an outlet and be shocked, electrocuted, or burned. There are plastic closures you can buy to plug outlets that little children can reach.

Overloaded outlets and power strips

When you plug too many appliances into a power strip or an outlet, they can be overloaded and cause an electrical fire. Avoid doing this, as well as plugging electrical adapters into a power strip so that more appliances and gadgets can be plugged in.

Faulty wiring

Old or faulty wiring cause most residential fires. If your house is old, have a certified electrician come and check the wiring to see if it needs to be upgraded. Whether your house is old or new, make sure the wiring gets inspected every few years.

Malfunctioning appliances

Appliances that don’t function properly, like an oven with a faulty heating mechanism or a washer that trips the circuit breaker, can cause an electrical fire. They can also burn, shock, or injure you in some other way.

When the appliance malfunctions, turn it off immediately and get it professionally repaired. Be careful when buying used appliances and always follow safety guidelines when using any appliance.

Covered wires and cords

Wires and cords that are smothered by carpets, rugs, or furniture can overheat and cause a fire. Keep your wires and cords unobstructed and spread apart. You should also make sure that your appliances are not placed too close to each other or to walls and furniture. Provide enough space around them so that they can ventilate properly and not overheat.